Orienteering Coaching Courses
A Level 0 qualification is required to teach orienteering in a school or park environment. Level 1 is required to take students into a bush environment.
A course can be arranged at a mutually convenient time, preferably weekday.
A minimum of 6 participants is required.
The Community Coaching General Principles Course is a pre-requisite for a Level 0 qualification. Many teachers will have done this as part of their training. If not, follow this link to the online course.
Basic training in orienteering instruction for teachers
This course is designed to cater for teachers, parents, or outdoor education centre staff wishing to introduce orienteering to students on schoolground and park maps. It is particularly recommended for teachers of Primary School children. The course is entirely sport specific, and the syllabus has been designed by the Orienteering Federation of Australia. It is not designed to cover the requirements for bush orienteering. Persons wishing to instruct under these conditions should have additional orienteering experience and must have a Level 1 accreditation in orienteering.
At the completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Understand the history and promotion of orienteering.
- Plan and develop a basic sequential teaching programme.
- Instruct in basic map reading for orienteering
- Teach basic orienteering skills.
- Conduct practical exercises at the beginner level.
- Know the resources available for orienteering.
4 hours minimum. Participants receive a certificate upon completion of the course.
$66.00 (adults) or $44.00 for juniors (under 21) and full time students (under 25) which includes a hard copy of "Elementary Orienteering Instructor's Handbook" plus an electronic copy of "Orienteering Games" and "Games Orienteers Play". A hardcopy of Orienteering Games can be purchased at the course for the reduced price of $22. The course is free for full members of Orienteering Qld.
Please Email:OQ Coaching Director
Can be arranged on any date suitable to the participants and the presenter. This course is designed by the Orienteering Federation of Australia and accredited under the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme. It is designed for beginner club coaches, and teachers wishing to teach orienteering in a bush setting, or as part of the Year 11 & 12 PE course.
A minimum of 4 participants is required.
Teachers will usually have already completed the Community Coaching General Principles Course.
The course has a heavy emphasis on practical skills and is conducted in the field, on an orienteering map. It includes sections on the role of the coach; planning and preparing training sessions and skills sessions, and sequential programs for individuals or groups; risk management; and basic orienteering skills.
7 - 8 hours depending on prior learning credits.
Post course coaching practice
Teacher coaches must:
- Plan and implement a 6 week sequential coaching program for a group
- Attend a State organised orienteering event and satisfactorily complete a moderate navigation level course.
- Become a member of Orienteering Qld. Special rates are available for Teachers. Contact email@example.com
Club coaches must:
- Plan and implement a 10 week sequential coaching program for an individual
- Conduct the novice instruction at an orienteering event
- Conduct a beginner group clinic under supervision of a qualified club coach.
- Maintain membership of Orienteering Qld
Upon satisfactory completion of the above requirements, candidates receive OFA Level 1 Orienteering coaching Accreditation Certificate and NCAS ID card. Accreditation must be renewed every 4 years.
$88.00 adults; $66.00 for juniors (under 21) and full time students (under 25). No cost for full members of Orienteering Qld.
This includes cost of accreditation, a pdf copy of Orienteering Games and Games Orienteers Play and 'Elementary Orienteering Instructor's Handbook'. A hardcopy of Orienteering Games can be purchased at the course for the reduced price of $22.
Please Email: OQ Coaching Director